Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Thing" 2: 7 & 1/2 Habits

So this is my first blog. (Should I capitalize "blog"?) Being an English teacher for 25 years has me trained to spot anything that might not be grammatically correct.

I'm excited about learning all the fun things in Library 2.0 and I especially loved the 7 & 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners. I love to learn! Habit # 2 is "Accepting responsibility for your own learning." This will be the easiest of the 7 & 1/2 habits for me. I have sought out opportunities in life which will teach me new things. I get easily bored and love to have different challenges knowing that at first the challenge will be hard, then, as always, become second nature.

My hardest habit will be # 4 "Have confidence in yourself as a competent effective learner." Well, I do have confidence in my ability to learn, but I'm always thinking: "My blogs will be short and boring with little to interest others." Too often I see myself as I perceive others seeing me and I wilt. I'd rather not expose myself to criticism. Learning is so internal but having to show off what you've learned is quite another thing. I long for the good old days of sitting in a classroom listening to others. Not really. Guess this new age learning, if done correctly, will force some of us to expose ourselves and contribute.

No comments: